5. B&NES Policies & Procedures
Children Missing Education
Child Protection for Schools
- Keeping Children Safe in Education 2018: Statutory Guidance 3rd September 2018
- Model Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy for Schools and Colleges (2018) This will need adapting with individual establishment information.
- Example - School Use of Social Media Policy 2016 (It is the individual education establishment's responsibility to ensure that Social Media and Online Safety Policies are up to date)
- Schools Exclusion Leaflet
Children and Young People's Plan
Housing and Children Services Protocol
Independent Reviewing Officers Annual Report
IRO Annual Report (2017-18)
Local Authorities have a Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) to:
Be involved in the management and oversight of individual cases
Provide advice and guidance to employers and voluntary organisations
Liaise with the police and other agencies
Monitor the progress of cases to ensure that they are dealt with as quickly as possible, consistent with a thorough and fair process
The Local Authority Designated Officer for managing allegations or safeguarding concerns against staff is Mel Argles who can be contacted on 01225 396810.
Self Harm (including suicide) Guidelines
NEW: Guidance for professionals working with children and young people who self-harm.
As of November 2017 B&NES has adopted the information and guidance found on HarmLESS https://www.oxfordhealth.nhs.uk/harmless as a guide to multi agency professionals working with young people who self-harm. This provides up to date information about:-
• What is meant by self-harm including thoughts and acts of self-harm, and risks and triggers for young people
• Guidance on how to react and talk to young people who are self-harming using the acronym SLEEP (Stop, Listen, Empathise, Explore, Plan)
• An online assessment tool to complete with a young person. This assessment automatically generates a safety plan
• Links to others useful resources and web sites
• Links to (B&NES) Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
Anyone currently using the document entitled 'Multi Agency Guidelines for Professionals Working with Children and Young People who Self-harm' should note that as of November 2017 this is now out of date and should be removed from circulation.
Sexual Health Strategy